View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2012
More noise than signal

This log does not show a "make clean" as I had recommended.
The "make clean install" I had recommended executes a "make clean" before it executes a "make install".

If you did not clean the WORKOBJDIR, you will continue to have errors. I think you need to do more reading, and more studying, and become comfortable with building individual ports and their dependencies before you attempt to build more than seven thousand ports at once. You need to learn to take steps before you run a marathon.

The "make clean install" I had recommended executes a "make clean" before it executes a "make install".

---

You are attempting to build gmake, which gets built very early in any bulk build sequence, since so many ports are built with the Gnu toolchain. How many packages did you build and successfully install, so far? 10? 20? 45? If 45, you have only 7300 more builds to go.

FAQ 15.1, Introduction says:
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: The ports tree is meant for advanced users. Everyone is encouraged to use the pre-compiled binary packages. Do NOT ask beginner questions on the mailing lists like "How can I get the ports tree working?". If you have questions about the ports tree, it is assumed that you have read the manual pages and this FAQ, and that you are able to work with it....
FAQ 15.4.6, Packages or Ports, says:
Quote:
In general, you are highly advised to use packages over building an application from ports. The OpenBSD ports team considers packages to be the goal of their porting work, not the ports themselves.

Building a complex application from source is not trivial. Not only must the application be compiled, but the tools used to build it must be built as well. Unfortunately, OpenBSD, the tools, and the application are all evolving, and often, getting all the pieces working together is a challenge. Once everything works, a revision in any of the pieces the next day could render it broken. Every six months, as a new release of OpenBSD is made, an effort is made to test the building of every port on every platform, but during the development cycle it is likely that some ports will break.