View Single Post
Old 20th October 2011
More noise than signal

Igor,

I noticed the plea for help that you posted on the chrisk.de blog. For the level of assistance you requested of the script's author, which was for basic administration help, it appears to me that both you and wlm2 have jumped into deep water without first learning how to swim. Your project began in June or earlier this year. It is nearly November, and you are starting over at the beginning.

From here -- though I may be wrong -- it appears that a skilled technician could create a configuration for you in a few hours, unless, of course, there is something unique about your Netstick device that requires significant testing or development.

Perhaps you and wlm2 might consider seeking professional OpenBSD support locally. There may be someone who can assist you locally, and help you deploy a functional solution. See www.openbsd.org/support.html for a list of service providers, by country.

----

This forum community is a collection of BSD users. While we volunteer our help where we can on specific issues, the forum is not designed and not structured for transferring general knowledge of basic administrative skills. That comes to each of us over time, from reading, from testing, from practice, and from experience.

It is technically possible for one of us to remotely connect to your Alix platform, and configure the software for you. With tmux(1), you and wlm2 could watch the process as it occurs, though you will not gain much knowledge just by watching. Through the use of ssh(1) software and public key pairs for authentication, the connection could be made securely, without the need for sending any passwords to anyone. However, you would have to trust an anonymous person on the Internet with superuser authority of your system. Should you?

Last edited by jggimi; 20th October 2011 at 02:58 PM.