View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
I saw a job ad recently, in what sounds like a fine place to work, that had among its requirements, "produce prodigious amounts of high quality code."
Three possibilities:
  • If written by the hiring manager, this is meant to scare potential slackers. It could also mean that the atmosphere is that of a sweatshop.
  • If written by an HR representative, it means nothing more than something that sounds good.
  • If written by a senior engineer, process may be used to browbeat those with less seniority.
Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in such a statement. It doesn't mean much.
Quote:
I'd rather see it become convention that all source be public.
Most employers state in nondisclosure forms signed upon the first day of employment that any work done with company hardware or company time (or anything done during an employee's employment period...) becomes their property. I don't see this ever changing because ownership of intellectual property is often seen as providing a strategic competitive edge over competitors. Besides, legal departments want the rules to be clear in case they need grounds for suing or terminating employment.