View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2008
Arp Constable

You can mount ext3 as an 'ext2fs' but you may have to fsck_e2tfs it first. Resier you can mount read only as an 'reasierfs'. You might want to check out the e2fsprogs and progsreiserfs ports in sysutils. I think FreeBSD has experimental support for writing to reiserfs v3, but I'd avoid it unless you're ready for data loss (but hey, I'm paranoid).

I think modern Linux 2.6 should have READ ONLY support for UFS in it, but I dunno if it is enabled by default with any distros. Judging by a short google, I believe the command is:

mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 <device> <mount_dir>

but don't quote me.

No one can really help you with the boot loader issue unless you post details about your partitioning schema and BL setup. Some time ago I wrote a thing on booting BSD from various boot loaders, with having Windows & Linux on the same disk being considered. Which also carefully notes something you will find in the FreeBSD FAQ.

You can boot Linux from from boot0, but you must have a boot loader like GRUB/LILO in the Linux / partitions boot sector in order for it to work. Other wise it has no way to find the Linux kernel, in the default config.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.