Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Here's one example, though you may think the application obscure and not quite what you had in mind:

http://www1.dionex.com/en-us/data_ma...re/lp3268.html

Click on the specifications link at the bottom of the page for details.

This is rather typical, in that it is control and database software for scientific instruments.
I was wondering if you could explain to me one thing. It seems to me, based on your posts, that you are an avid and very, very competent Windows user.
What do you try to achieve by hanging on a forum for Unix enthusiasts (OK there are few professionals around here but most of us a hobbyist like me).
Windows needs no popularization. 99% of all Desktops and probably close to 50% of servers run it.

Are you just trying to annoy us? If you are unhappy that mail server at your
University runs Linux you should take that issue with your IT department.
If you are unhappy that some of you colleagues do not use word for publishing (I am mathematician so 100% of us do NOT use MS Word) that issue should be taken to editors of the journals.

I am way too old to be a graduate student but even if I was the one you could not bully me into using the tools I am not comfortable with. I am competent enough to code the application which I need if there is none already. I have been using Unix for too long (since late 1980s) not because it was free or not proprietary but because the alternative was VMS and lousy
OS/360. I do not hate Windows, its users, and M$.

I just love Unix like most people on this forum and you can not question man's heart.