View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th April 2012
More noise than signal

Your first quote refers to wd0a -- this is partition 'a' on drive wd0. The device driver was unable to write to the drive within a time limit set by the wd(4) driver. "fsbn" is "file system block number". The message should also describes the physical block number within wd0 and may also provide "cn" which is "cylinder number" and "tn" which is "track" number. These latter two are probably not very useful with a modern drive, since the cylinder/track/sector addressing is virtual, and mapped by drive electronics.

The error was eventually corrected -- meaning that after retrying many, many times, perhaps hundreds or thousands of times, the drive electronics eventually confirmed the write had occurred.

The second block of messages, regarding "Tx" or "Transmit" is a kernel message produced by the ral(4) or rum(4) Ethernet drivers and have nothing directly to do, I think, with your disk I/O trouble. However if the system was "hung" while the I/O retries were occurring, this could explain a network hiccup.

---
Your entirely unrelated "warning" regarding packages should 1) reflect that you mean -current, rather than -release, and 2) does not belong in this thread, and 3) is a transient condition...as you have been told many times, snapshot packages are never exactly in sync with snapshots. They are provided as a courtesy, only.

Last edited by jggimi; 6th April 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typos, clarity