View Single Post
Old 29th March 2009
Port Guard

I use C++, NASM ASM, Ruby, XHTML, CSS, SQL (Postgre) and Javascript. I am learning RoR at the moment.

C++ is used for normal application programming, I know it has a lot of bloat that isn't needed, but I still think it's a great language. I prefer the I/O method than C's. It seems fast compared to some newer languages as well. The amount of APIs out there for it makes it compatible. I don't really use OOP that much, but I like the option to be there.

Ruby is used for making inefficient code fast. If I need to make something fast, or I want to automate anything quickly that's what I use. It's just so easy; it seems like the new BASIC to me. It's so slow though....

NASM ASM is my favorite. I wouldn't use it for anything big or anything that requires a GUI, but for certain things, it rocks. Shame that I have to rewrite bits of the code every time I change OS, but this is just system calls and stuff. I'm intending on writing 64bit assembly soon.

I made sure I took the time to learn a few web languages, since it looks like the web will become bigger and bigger. I have practically no knowledge of shell scripting (I use ruby for everything like that).