View Single Post
Old 30th January 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broodjegehaktmetmayo View Post

So just when I thought it was almost finally done, this nightmare of picking hardware, this message about the HDD arrives

BUT: I appreciate your warning very much (!) - Thank you

Carpetsmoker has also suggested a HDD, the Western digital Caviar 500GB 16MB Raid Edition, which seems to be completely different from the 'normal' WD retail HDDs (of which I am not too fond).

Too bad, because I have sworn by Seagate for many, many, years (in fact, there's one thing I have always said: all things are discussable, but the HDDs need to be Seagate).

I will dive in which other HDD to choose then, tomorrow.
WDC RAID Edition is also ok, pretty similar as Black, you may check differences here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/3...hmarks,24.html

Quote:
As to your other points:
1. Integrated HDA: as I just wrote in reply to DrJ's post: its my experience that integrated audio doesn't do Digital Sound Processing very well, so I thought, lets just take a separate audio card (I'm a bit of an audio freak ).
Old integrated soundcards were very bad generally, today's ones are very good, I use Integrated Intel HDA (from Intel Q35 motherboard) with my Pioneer A107 amplifier and Technics RP-F290 headphones and quality is very good for me, also attached speakers (to that Pioneer) do the job.

My soundcard:
Code:
% cat /dev/sndstat 
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2007061600/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel 82801I High Definition Audio Controller> at memory 0xfeb70000 irq 22 kld snd_hda [20080420_0052] [MPSAFE] (1p:2v/1r:1v channels duplex default)
IMHO: Buy only your motherboard and if you will not be happy with it, then add a Creative card.

Quote:
2. DVD-rom + DVD-RW: I've been told DVD-RW will die faster when you also use it for ROM only.
This is also rather old "tip", I have used mine old PATA DVD-RW (LG) for about 1.5 years, then gave it to my girlfriend and it still works without any problems, I currently use SATA DVD-RW (LG) drive which also works great.

Quote:
3. PSU: thank you, but taking into account then 'to be on the safe side' as DrJ wrote, 500W seems the smart thing to do?
If I would be you, I would get some 430-480-500W PSU with 85-90% efficency, check details here: http://80plus.com/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx

Quote:
Thanks again Vermaden
You are welcome mate

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd