View Single Post
Old 1st February 2009
Shell Scout

Default So I guess it will be the WD RE3

I am sort of camping behind my PC

The problem was, I couldn't find a decent test of the WD RE3 500GB. Is seems I've found one now. Just for academical safety: I don't really have a clue if the tests used here (and, moreover, the testsoftware) are the right tests, but I am figuring 'since all the HDDs have been tested using the same tests, it should say something about the relative position of the disks towards eachother' (margin of error here: in case the tests are complete crap and each and every one of them doesn't measure anything usefull at all).

Main points in this test:

Quote:
We have clearly two winners: the new Western Digital RE3, which is targeted to the enterprise market, and Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, which is a mainstream product and thus the 500 GB hard disk drive that we recommend to the average user. Samsung HD502IJ in an option only if you can’t find Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. All other models should be avoided.
Quote:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (ST3500320AS): This is the drive we recommend for the average user. It provides a performance higher than other mainstream units at the same price range, thus providing the best cost/benefit ratio. If you can spend a little more a better option is the new Western Digital RE3.
Quote:
# Western Digital Caviar GP (WD5000AACS): This is a “green” drive with variable rotational speed in order to save energy. We didn’t measure power consumption, so we can’t talk specifically about energy savings. Its performance was one of the worst and thus we can’t recommend this product. Don’t buy.
# Western Digital Caviar SE (WD5000AAJS): Performance worst than the majority of drives we tested, probably due to its lower buffer size (8 MB). Don’t buy.
# Western Digital Caviar SE16 (WD5000AAKS): Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 is far faster and costs the same thing. Don’t buy.
# Western Digital RE2 (WD5001ABYS): Lousy performance. Don’t buy.
Quote:
Western Digital RE3 (WD5002ABYS): This was the best drive in our review. But since it is targeted to the enterprise market – meaning it has a higher reliability – it costs more. If you are looking for an enterprise-class product, this is the one you should pick. This product is also recommended to regular users that want a higher performance and can pay a little bit more to have the fastest 500 GB drive around. Of course a VelociRaptor 300 GB will be faster, but it costs far more and you will have less storage space: if you want to have more than 300 GB you will have to buy and put two of these in RAID0, what will create a huge hole in your wallet.
The test is here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/627/1

So, unless any of you tells me 'too bad, son, but that test is rubbish' () I'll take the RE3. Performance is ok, and I'll gladly pay a little bit extra for increased reliability.

Btw, this is my current HDD, Seagate 7200.7, measured with HDTunePro 3.50:

Remaining, thus: the case.