View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2013
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome to daemonforums, ritter_k.

This is the third or fourth time I've seen people attempting to bridge(4) with a vether(4) pseudo device, and reporting problems with them on this forum. I don't know the source "howto" you or they have been using, but as with J65nko, I recommend avoiding this because it is a needless complication. The vether(4) driver was developed to address a highly specific need: to operate a Border Gateway Protocol peer from a residence in Canada. If you're not doing this, you should be able to function without vether(4).

I happen to operate a pair of Alix 2d13 platforms with OpenBSD. I have no bridge defined. My wired NAT rule looks like this -- the parentheses are used because the IP address is dynamic:
Code:
match out on $external_nic from !(external_nic) nat-to (external_nic)
I have a urtwn(4) USB-to-WiFi device which I can plug in and use as an egress device during those times when my primary wired ISP becomes inoperative, using a smartphone acting as a WiFi router. It's NAT rule looks like this:
Code:
match out on $tether_nic from !($tether_nic) nat_to ($tether_nic)
Edited to add:

The urtwn(4) device is not normally installed and used in an Alix; the NAT rule and urtwn firmware are in place only in the event it is needed to circumvent an ISP outage. It is normally used with another platform.

Last edited by jggimi; 17th November 2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: urtwn clarity