View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
No, I have updated base system to 8.2-RELEASE and still use 8.1-RELEASE packages, I plan to update them 'my binary way' later time:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=33843
Thank you Vermaden

It was just my simple reasoning that perhaps it made sense to first have everything up to date in 8.1, because perhaps 8.2 would include some files that the ports for 8.1 would no longer digest, after which it might turn out that upgrading the ports would then leave all kinds of problems because they wouldn't want to upgrade because 8.2 RELEASE was already there (for example complaining that they would need an older version of a FreeBSD file than the one that currently would be there because of the upgrade from 8.1 -> 8.2).

At this point, I am, by the way, first trying to get the sweat of my face () by even thinking about how to backup the whole system. What I want to do is have a complete backup of the whole system (sort of an 'image' as these are common to make in Windows). So that, if the sh*t hits the fan, I can simply restore the whole disk and be where I am right now. Because getting where I am now has costed more than I thought my heart could bear ).

Sofar after reading here and over in the FreeBSD forum I understand that I need to 'dump' each partition/filesystem/slice separately, and on restoring I need to first format and label each partition/filesystem/slice separately. Conceptually it doesn't sound too hard, but then ...

Does one need to create the each partition/filesystem/slice exactly the same size as the originally were (not smaller sounds logically, but bigger is possible?)

When you do this restore can you then first create ZFS and restore to that, or is that impossible?