Thread: Funny stuff
View Single Post
Old 11th March 2010
Custom Title Maker

Oko,

I think we're talking about the same thing here, but in different terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oko
Sendmail (OpenSMTPd soon instead) is configured on OpenBSD. You do not need to do anything. Just type

mail e-mail@address.of.your.friend

and you will be able to send the e-mail. The problem is that such an e-mail will be usually bounced because you do not have fixed IP address, reverse DNS and the proper MX record.
Yes, you can type "mail someone@example.com", and it will be sent; but, as you pointed out, it will most likely be rejected. So we agree here. However, does it "just work" without further configuration? If the intended recipient does not receive it, I would say not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oko
It is not true that you can send an e-mail on Windows machine without configuring smtp.
I agree, which is why I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolino
in Windows, you only need to enter the pop3 and smtp server....
Quote:
Originally Posted by oko
Last time I checked Thunderbird can fetch emails from both POP and IMAP accounts. You have to configure them on Windows, OpenBSD, or any other platform.
I agree with you. However, on both Windows and OpenBSD, Thunderbird is not part of a base install, which is what seemed to be one of eurovive's implications of his statement, "[BSD systems] require TOO MUCH to know."

For what it's worth, I believe that people's resistance to OpenBSD (or any other *nix-type OS) is not that it is too hard or requires "TOO MUCH to know," but rather that it is different from what they are used to using. It takes anyone a long time to learn "how to use a computer." Once they know that OS (which 95% of the time is Windows) and applications, they want to compare anything else to what they already know. (Hence the resistance to Windows Vista.)

Oko, I don't see where we disagree.

Anyway, enough rambling.