View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

I just checked whether HTML5 enabled YouTube works on my wife's Windows 7 laptop. It seems that it does on Opera 10.60. I disabled the Flash plug-in and restarted the browser. After enabling HTML5 trials I was able to watch YouTube while on few other pages which are full of Flash I was notified that I am missing Flash plug-in.

Speaking of OpenBSD you have to be careful. Opera 10.60 is not ported since it requires more Linux emulation. Poul Irtofi is currently working on adding support for 2.6 Linux kernel emulation. Couple months ago before he got involved it looked that Linux emulation code will be completely removed from the kernel.

I hate Mozilla and even more Chrome so I am holding my OpenBSD 4.8 update partially because I know that Opera 10.11 (the OpenBSD port) will not work on OpenBSD 5.0.
YouTube has never been really an issue on OpenBSD and there are numerous workarounds for YouTube videos. The real issue is the lack of Flash (I have no idea how good is Gnash) after the collapse of swfdec project. For instant Flash is used in some interactive editors on Learning Management Systems commonly used in U.S. (means I use it at work). It doesn't look like HTML5 will kill Flash so the effort of Poul Irtofi is welcomed in particular if he can get evil Adobe Reader and MATLAB to work on OpenBSD.

Essentially my approach at this point for those couple applications (mostly MATLAB) if I have to use them is to NX X to a cluster which runs PUIAS Linux.