View Single Post
Old 18th June 2008
More noise than signal

I don't see anywhere in the Project Goals "satisfy end-users of OpenBSD on workstations who don't or won't run -current with the latest shiniest versions of applications they like." As a matter of fact, users are only mentioned in the goals as being able to have access to the OS source code.

We users are not the "target market." If any market exists at all, it is the 90 or so OpenBSD developers. We're just lucky to have access to their work.

That $50 (plus shipping, don't forget shipping) is a donation. OpenBSD is free to anyone with Internet access. I run -current on my platforms, yet I donate money to obtain the CDs, merely because I want to donate to help fund power and cooling for Theo's basement, and I think the artwork is cute.

-release is just another snapshot, technically. The big differences:
  • -release gets "tagged" in the CVS repositories
  • It gets about two months of testing, making it more robust than other snapshots.
  • Ports/packages are synced to it.
For years, "-stable" packages were created for known security (and security only) bugs in 3rd party applications. The Project, about 14 months ago if I remember correctly, abandoned this work due to their limited resources. We users might run only one or two architectures, but the Project supports seventeen.