View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008
Spam Deminer

I think for purposes of this conversation you could split the users into two general categories- the "regulars" and the "visitors"...

The regulars have a responsibility to a certain level of decency on this forum, or they risk the consternation of the rest of the regulars (and the moderators/admins.) The regulars should be concerned about giving quality comments and contributing to a quality community within these forums, and I think they are (otherwise this thread might not even exist.) I for one would hate to see in the misc- (at) - @openbsd.org list that this forum can be just as nasty as the mailing list, just because of a few bad apples.

And the visitors have a responsibility to themselves... most of them came here to find an answer to a pressing problem they are experiencing, hoping the good will of this community will shine upon them. But if they are going to use profane language or exhibit a poor attitude, the regulars should cease to help them that all.

I think that as this community grows and matures a bit, there will be a level of expectation that can be easily communicated- that this just isn't the place to be mean-spirited, profane, or indignant.

I for one have been impressed so far with the amount of maturity and talent that crossed over from bsdforums to DaemonForums, and have high hopes that this will not only be a saving grace for many an inexperienced BSD admin, but also a well-trodden and venerated watering hole for the more experienced in our community.

Last edited by ai-danno; 19th May 2008 at 11:08 PM.