View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2008
Port Guard

My goal is to setup redundancy in the remote offices. Right now we have VPN connections coming back to our main office here (each office has it's own subnet), from all of the remote offices. The two Windows DNS servers here serve the entire state (about 110 employees). Each office is running DSL which is super slow so I'd like to free up some bandwidth and speed up the remote queries as well. I could care less about resolving PC names, but I would like to get the zone transfers working so I can setup a serve DNS to each remote office locally.

Now back to my problem. I went to advanced settings from Windows DNS and choose "BIND secondaries" which eliminated most of the errors. Our servers do not have a firewall running and I verified that under "Notify..." that I have the IP address of the FBSD server listed as a secondary. What other settings do I need to set? I've rebooted the FBSD server as well. Here is the remaining error message:

May 15 09:26:18 FreeBSD named[610]: transfer of 'advocacyinc.org/IN' from 192.168.100.2#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED