Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2008
Spam Deminer

I guess the reason I count Mac OS X as Unix is because I use it as such. Right now, I have five zsh sessions running in screen in a fully customized Xterm on my MacBook Pro. I testing pkgsrc yesterday. Right now, I'm adjusting the Gimmix configure script to look for intltool in the right place.

Well, that's truly reassuring, the information about the math departments. If it's hardly five percent of the desktop market, then that's still very good, considering who Unix is going up against, a thousand pound gorilla that can start its own facts campaign that's based on crap.

I value the information you've presented. I'm going by statistics because I haven't had much chance to see what's actually going on out there. I'm heading off to college in August, JHU. I'll see what goes on there. I saw a lot of Mac users on campus when I was there for the tour. The only real experience I've had is from what my Dad tells me about his work as an Oracle DBA at the NJ state government. They use RHEL and Sun Solaris for their mainframe, and he's been trying to get some of the lesser machines converted to Linux too because they don't scale well under load on Windows.

I forgot to ask, but you said that server industry is about $60 billion dollars, at least in the US. I'd imagine that the desktop market is smaller no?