Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2008
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
People who claim Mac OSX isn't Unix because it's users aren't aware of it being Unix is the worst reason ever.

Mac OS X is Unix, so the percentage of Unix workstations should include it...

I would have to agree scottro, Solaris is quite common on servers.. sill, BSD(Yes, OS X too..) and Linux are on the rise.

The Internet owes it's existence to Unix...
Actually _using_ UNIX _as_ UNIX is something different than using a nice desktop and _advertising_ with UNIX '03 conformance. Apple hasn't been a UNIX or 'console'-company, it has always been a company which adheres the desktop.

---

The 8% market share _is not_ because of UNIX. By the way Apple market share in the early 80s was about 15%, with a steady decline until Jobs return in the 90s. The market share of Apple Mac OS is because of the desktop, the 'usability'. You wouldn't call Solaris a desktop-sucess because of its market share and the fact it's delivering a desktop too. So you have to differ between causes.

I don't know whether there is a domination of Solaris servers, we are using some of it and we're using some Apple machines for different work. In the end you will allways find heterogeneous environments and some business guys playing with numbers to sell their precious product. But we are using e.g. OpenBSD (firewall) too, like many companies I know of. But OpenBSD developers and users aren't very vocal, so you will hear about Mac everywhere, Linux this and that and of course Bills nightmare Windows. Different point of views to consider and if you don't want to sell something, burn the numbers and the marketing. Just use it, be happy and maybe flame for fun