Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2008
Spam Deminer

scottro, I do agree with you that in some ways Apple is worse than Microsoft. Apple tries to exercise control over its users in ways that Microsoft hasn't even tried, probably because it hasn't needed to. Forcing hardware on people who are only attracted to the operating system is pretty dirty tactic. This really confirms to me that Apple is a hardware company. They have the benefit of being able to market a good operating system and making it compatible with only their own computers, which really helps them in the hardware business.

Also, I do agree that Apple's market share didn't increase because OS X is Unix. Apple hasn't heavily marketed it as Unix because it doesn't matter to their current users or to their target customers. All most people need to know is that OS X is more stable than Windows and is easier to maintain than Windows. The usability bit would be nice to mention as well, but it's usually a hit or miss with people.

Like I said, I consider Mac OS X to be Unix because I use it as such, but saying that it isn't Unix because they user don't know that it is or they don't use it as such causes some more questions. Is Ubuntu really Unix (Unix-like...) since it really is the OS X of Linux? If you go on Ubuntu forums, you'll see so much misinformation and n00biness. I saw one thread in which Ubuntu users were arguing with a Debian user about how a GUI actually has a place on server, how a server should be running a GUI.