View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
I went out and downloaded the latest 5.2 iso and thats what I am using.
mirror.esc7.net/pub/OpenBSD/5.2/i386/cd52.iso
You have downloaded the ISO for 5.2-release. If you want to download the latest snapshot of -current, you will need to go to /pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386 at the same mirror site.

If you are unfamiliar with the difference between the -release & -current flavors, study Section 5.1 of the FAQ. In essence, -release is the CVS tagged version of OpenBSD officially released every six months. -current is the head of the CVS tree where all current development takes place. The ISO's of 5.2-release comes from work last dated August 2012 (as I recall....). The latest snapshot of -current was built earlier today, & contains the changes jggimi mentions.

In addition, downloading cd52.iso only downloads the bsd.rd installation kernel (on a bootable CD...). You will still have to manually download the corresponding filesets through ftp(1), etc. You will find that the install52.iso ISO image contains the bsd.rd kernel + all filesets; nothing else needs to be obtained.

Lastly, note that the size of cd52.iso is significantly smaller than install52.iso. The reason for the difference is the absence of the filesets. More related information on what can be found at the mirror sites can be found in Section 4.3 of the FAQ.

Last edited by ocicat; 10th January 2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: clarify when OpenBSD 5.2 was tagged