View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2009
Package Pilot

Default openBSD 4.5: success w/virtualbox 2.2.4

Just thought I'd share ... I have just succeeded in installing and operating openBSD 4.5, 32-bit, as a GUEST in VirtualBox, 2.2.4 (released just last week), running on a Vista, 64-bit, (AMD) host.

Previous, I was unable (kernal panic and/or segment faults) to get 4.5 to work with previous versions of VB -- i.e. not with 2.2.0, or 2.2.2.

Getting 4.5/2.2.4 working was a still a bit cantankerous, but the following key/principal settings are working.

Code:
--v--
Video Memory: 32M  (16M did not seem to work even without X)
ACPI: Enabled
IO ACPI: Enabled
VT-x/AMD-V: Disabled
Nested Paging: Disabled
PAE/NX: Enabled
3D Accel: Disabled.

Hard disks:  IDE Primary (PIIX4 controller) 
USB: Enabled (no filter)  (seems to be *just* needed by OBSD for it to progress the boot/enumrate the ECHI hub.)
--^--
openBSD 4.5, as guest, panicked if I tired to present VirtualBox's puedo SATA interface to it. Used IDE (non-SATA) instead. Not sure if bsd.mp is needed or not. Unfortunately, on my last attempt (which was usccessful) I changed more then one VB setting and OBSD install elective -- including bsd.mp was one of them.

My host system is Vista-64, AMD dual-core 2.8GHz, ASUS M3A78-EM, which has the AMD 780G/SB700-series chipsets.

I may play with the settings to try to identify what is minimally needed, but right now I need to get on with USING the virtual machine, not WRESTLING with it.

Just thought I'd share that just-released VirtualBox 2.2.4 appears to have advanced itself sufficiently to run an openBSD 4.5 guest.

Good luck all.
/S

Last edited by s2scott; 1st July 2009 at 10:34 AM.