Thread: *BSD Laptops
View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
NetBSD comes with XFree 4.5 but there is also newer XFree 4.7 or even later that copes with Intel driver, I do nto have a link, but if you ask about that on NetBSD mailing lists, they will give you links to apriciate packages.
I have a suspicion that a -current kernel would support it much better. I compiled the new 5 beta kernel and it has support for features like the function buttons and the sound driver works with it where it really doesn't with the 4.0 kernel (also the -current from June I have on my server - this stuff was added first half of this year). I had hoped that the 4.0.1 would include all these new improvements, but I guess it is purely a minor patch upgrade and all the new features are going to go into the 5.0 branch (when will that be released as a stable version!!!).

Any way, I don't really have the inclination at this time to try and get the intel driver working when the vesa driver works good enough for me - I have bigger fish to fry, like trying to get the wireless working and configured. If in future I have need of it, I'll then look into it further.

Quote:
Have you checked pkgsrc?

This one should do the job: http://pkgsrc.se/graphics/feh
Many will do the trick. I just didn't know if one came already installed with a stock X installation.

Quote:
Launch xev from the terminal in x11, it will tell you which keys (keycodes) you are pressing, you can map them to commands with xmodmap.
Thanks. I found a blog entry that describes how to switch the console keys.

Quote:
I do not know why they mess thir keyboard with such defects, for example, none of them can be faound on Dell Latitude laptops (CTRL and ESC are where they should be).
I can understand why the engineers and designers put the F1 key where they did, even if I don't agree with it - but I cannot understand the placement of the function key. Oh well, at least it isn't as bad as engineers have screwed up car designs.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)