My current make.conf file is:
Code:
CPUTYPE?=	k8
MAKE_SHELL?=	sh
X11BASE=	/usr/local

# added by use.perl 2008-05-26 13:22:20
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
and I want to customize it specific to certain applications but I do not know what the syntax I should use is. The syntax I am looking for is the if statement used to enable/disable options for individual ports. For example, I want to install MPlayer, but not the skins/GUI since I will only be using it to play simple video files (i.e. music/instructional videos) and I will use VLC for DVD's. Going to the mplayer directory and typing:

make --WITHOUT_GUI
make install
make clean

should work, but if I install some other port (i.e. mplayer-plugin) that depends on mplayer it could install mplayer-skins even though I do not want it installed. I will be installing mplayer-plugin and there is a line in its Makefile that says.

USE_GECKO= firefox mozilla seamonkey

If I put USE_GECKO=firefox in my make.conf file will that provide me with any benefits? The reason I ask is a couple of weeks ago I installed Fluxbox on my machine (FreeBSD 7.0 i386) and I found a link to some documention on setting up and configuring Fluxbox on a fresh install and I recall the author putting this line in the make.conf file.

I am not able to look at my old make.conf file because after I followed a link to BSDGuides to harden my system I did too much too soon and locked myself out of my computer so now I am in the process of rebuilding it. I lost everything.