View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2009
Shell Scout

BSDfan666

I am trying to have PF redirect outgoing requests (inside my LAN) that are pointing to my domain name/DNS so they do not first travel out of my network to the internet and than back in again.

So instead of:

user wants to visit my locally hosted website, types URL, browser forwards query to DNS...etc and than is redirected out into the internet to access "domain name" which happens to just point back to my own network. (this fails and is a waste of bandwidth)

I would like instead of going to the internet to access my internal website that my internal PF firewall will simply redirect anything to URL port 80 to my internal web server. Thus no more wasted bandwidth and hopefully will actually work.

jggimi

Hmmm its unfortunate that PF will not "lookup" the IP on-the-fly. This defeats the full purpose of putting DNS as apposed to IP. (for me)

Would you be able to show a sample code for PF that would work for redirection using DNS Name (I will have to just reload my config if my IP changes.)

The firewall is acting as a middle-man type thing. So it has internal and external interfaces. Internal would be connecting to the internal network and external would be connecting to the exterior portion of my network.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Thanks for all your help!