View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th August 2018
More noise than signal

It looks like a reasonable script when reading it.

I'm not completely aware of all the ins and outs of 802.11 SSID association, but to my understanding the client *will* send out its MAC address in association request frames. This could be in response to SSID beacons, and also -- if my meager understanding is correct -- unsolicited in an association request frame to a "hidden" AP that does not issue beacons. If an unsolicited association request is for an SSID which is not present, no response is returned. But the request can be recorded. Tying a single workstation to multiple sessions (and therefore usage patterns) is the only significant value from "capturing" a MAC address for other than Ethernet connectivity and IP addressing -- that I can think of.

If you don't need repeatable leases from your trusted access points, then feel free to randomize your MAC address in hostname.iwn0, and provision all 4 networks with join, without an access script.

One last option is to develop support for lladdr "restoration" in ifconfig() with -lladdr, which does not exist. Then, you could attempt to update join functionality to add MAC address management options. OpenBSD gets features and functionality from people who believe something is missing, and then develop them, test them, and share them with the community. The tech@ mailing list is the most appropriate place to submit development diffs.