View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Business in the US is much less formal. Here I could talk directly to the licensing company for advice. You would never to that in Germany: everything goes up the managerial chain, horizontally to the other firm "at the appropriate level", and then back down. Fortunately communication between the rungs of the management ladder usually is pretty rapid.

I should note that in the past I have worked for a German company, but a very large one which may be more formal than many. But I would not count on it.

Whether talking with the other company is the best route to follow or not you will have to decide. But you should have clearly in mind what it is that is expected before you start writing. That a license is issued implies that there are certain expectations that must be fulfilled. (The Germans love licenses too, btw.)

On a tangent, there was a recent article that certain senior people were arrested because they held out the title of "Doktor." Legally they could not do so because those Ph.D. degrees were conferred by US institutions, like Stanford or MIT or CalTech. Instead, their business cards had to state that they held a Ph.D. from this or that university, and the location of the University. But they could not refer to themselves with the honorific "Doktor."