View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2010
Package Pilot

I retried to be sure once again and it's official. This is a problem and not my imagination. I use difference downloads of FreeBSD running on virtually new modern hardware. So, just minutes ago, I just retried everything using Arch-Linux and these are some decent numbers for operation on two 10GB partitions of the exact same size:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sda11 ;;; it copied in 306.114 seconds
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 ;;; it zero-out 108.486 seconds
dd if=/dev/sda11 of=/dev/sda1 ;;; it restore in 308.414 seconds

Also, I understand that record in and record out are always the same size when you (dd) copy and restore.

In the end I will be dumping to do backups just like most other people but I think it's weak when you notice something wrong with one (known be perfect)standard but move on to something else that works, leaving behind a problem that may come back to bite an entire project or all of your work in the end just because no one paid attention or even knew it existed. If the creators of FreeBSD don't know already, maybe someone of experience will test and send in a bug-report so we can get some answers. I really like Arch-Linux, but not as a work-around for FreeBSD unless there is no hope.