Thread: Funny stuff
View Single Post
Old 10th March 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovive View Post
The BSD systems are not Intuitivive and not graphically helped (wizarded).
If you desire hand-holding during installation, then yes, the *BSD family may not be for you. However, for those that understand the installation process (& this doesn't require being a professional, but it is oriented to those who take the time to study the documentation...), each is very lean & to the point.
Quote:
And at some machines like mine Toshiba Notebook P25-S487 FreeBSD requires special or custom kernel compilation , otherwise it doesn't installs.
Without knowing the specifics of your hardware, it is difficult to put this into context as no dmesg(8) output has been provided. Even if compilation is required, kernel compilation in each of the *BSD's is fairly straightforward if sufficient care is taken in understanding the documentation. If installing FreeBSD is your goal, it may be possible to bypass compilation altogether in favor loadable kernel modules. My guess is that you are lamenting the fact that your hardware isn't supported out-of-the-box. Again, without dmesg(8) output, nothing can be substantiated, & nothing can be solved.

I would recommend to you to put time into reading the documentation & try installing again. Post specific information & questions into the appropriate installation subsection. You may be surprised at what help you can get when informed & concise questions are asked. Yes, it may take time, but you may learn a lot from the effort.

I would also recommend you read the following thread:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=596

...as it helps frame how effective questions can be asked. It is easy to fall into the trap of vague generalizations which cannot be substantiated. The real problem is that nothing gets done when in this hole.