View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th April 2010
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
My advice is just "go for it" and see if you can be happy with it. I've been ramping up my NetBSD usage, as an alternative to Linux, over the last 6-12 months or so. It's at the point now I can use them almost interchangeably for most things.
OK, that sounds promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
I use DOS vfat or whatever, but that's because I use the flash drive to download large amounts (OS and package upgrades) from the local library where Bill's OS rules the roost. Your requirements will very likely be different.
Yea, I thought vfat might be the way to go with NetBSD. Then you can use the superb mtools program. But using vfat you'll lose some file permissions and you'll have to set them again manually, which is not really cool. So vfat has its upsides, but it has downsides as well.

I seem to recall that NetBSD doesn't support some newer features in ext2, so you need to be careful in formatting removable drives as ext2 if you want to make sure that NetBSD can read them. I think I read about this in NetBSD documetation, but that was years ago. I'll have another look when I get some free time.