View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

As usual, I think ai-danno nailed it. (Of course, we cacti users get good at that.)

When this thread started. I had thought that there were issues between unix.com and the old bsdforums admin, and that this was simply a matter of ironing that out. However, as the thread's progressed, I imagine that the bad blood between them stemmed from the ad driven content thing, which is a shame. I doubt that either made a lot of money on their sites.

So, it seems he would like references to his forum, which is reasonable. He has rules about posting links which *might* have originally been there to help prevent spam. However, a link to a forum like this shouldn't be an issue, unless he really feels that it's taking money from him. Perhaps the logic is, people go there, they start going there less than here, fewer people see the ads. <shrug>.

Anyway, I think Carpetsmoker also summed it up well, why are we wasting time about this. I would like to think that if this forum (daemonforums) started taking advertising, they wouldn't object to us posting links to other forums that might also <gasp> have ads.

As Carpetsmoker said, I guess he has long toes--interesting idiom, I guess if your toes are long, they're easy to step on.

What goes around tends to come around, so if he's creating bad karma, on his head be it. As Marcus Aurelius wrote, If he did wrong, the harm is with him, but perhaps he didn't. In other words, what Carpetsmoker says. I think that Vermaden, in the first post, actually tried to help the fellow, recommending the forum. Now he's been banned from there.

Well, Vermaden, going back to Marcus Aurelius again, he also wrote words to the effect of, If you do a good deed, isn't that reward enough? Why hope for gratitude as well? As near as I can see, you made the recommendation for the forum--frankly, I'm a bit leery of forums that are so nervous of whatever they're nervous about that they start giving out "you've been naughty" points for linking to other technical forums.

CentOS has lots of ads, and I've never been criticized for linking to anything else.
Ubuntu is a commercial entity, and though I don't see ads on their forum pages, I believe their code of conduct says just don't overdo it--I've linked to my pages and other forums countless times, and have never been asked not to by the mods.

Fedora has no ads, and I'm not sure of their policy, but again, I've never been criticized for linking to anything there. So, I guess it's a bit non-standard.

As usual, I've gone on too long, but I'm a bit irked, perhaps because I feel I was fooled--I thought that this fellow simply thought we were removing links to his site, but it turns out he doesn't want links to other sites. Silly person.