View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla View Post
...I have to configure 2 network cards on a computer that should serve as a DNS server...
A DNS server only converts domain names to IP addresses, and only needs a single NIC. Is it possible this machine will be used as a router, or, as a firewall? It is not clear what you intend to do. From what you've written, it looks like you intend it to be a router.
Quote:
When I opend that file (concrete hostname.d0)...
  1. Is this a pre-existing system, or a new install?
  2. I do not know what "d0" is, but it is not a NIC on OpenBSD. NIC names are driver names, followed by a number, such as: ne3, wpi0, vr1.
The output from:

# ifconfig

will list your NICs.
Quote:
dhcp NONE NONE NONE
This is how one configures a NIC that uses a DHCP server to assign a dynamic IP address and other network settings. For example, if your ISP assigns your IP address dynamically, DHCP is likely used.
Quote:
And following the instructiones for openBSD I wrote

inet IPadresa-računala 255.255.255.0 NONE

Is that ok?
I don't know what you are trying to do. Do you intend to change a dynamic IP address to a static IP address?
Quote:
Also, I can't find how to configure second network card.
The second card has a second NIC. Look for it in the output of ifconfig.

To use OpenBSD as a router, you must enable packet forwarding. Edit /etc/sysctl.conf, and set net.inet.ip.forwarding=1.

If your local network to-be-routed is a private network, you must enable NAT. That can only be done with PF.

Tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish, and we can provide more help.