View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2008
Spam Deminer

Working for a webhosting/colocation company, we learned the hard way that building your own servers doesn't scale in a large business environment- we eventually relented and went the way of Dell. For servers, Dell and HP really kick butt compared to cheaper do-it-yourself solutions. Don't believe me? We have about 300+ Dells in our network now and they just don't quit. And for what you get they are pretty cheap...

For gaming/personal machines, though, I really like building my own- I don't mind picking the best of what I want to be in a single machine, instead of having to live with a "pretty-good system" that's missing some particular feature I really wish I had. It usually makes component upgrades easier as well, extending the life of my personal machine by at least a few years. And although Dell/HP/Others really do use quality parts on the servers they sell, I find time and time again that with desktops they will sack you with the lowest common denominator parts so they can preserve their razor-thin margins.

So for business, the time and the money wasted on building multiple machines on a regular basis can be better spent... getting customers, for instance. That's always good. But once at home... ah, nothing like tinkering around with a kick-butt desktop you can be proud to know every inch of.

Last edited by ai-danno; 3rd July 2008 at 07:21 PM.