View Single Post
Old 4th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
vermaden, I was speaking from experience. Arch is very BSD-like, but the installer is unpolished, for one thing. It's a little complicated to use with respect to the NetBSD and FreeBSD installers. Even the OpenBSD installer is a little more simpler to use than it. Pacman, as it is, needs some work and the AUR build system is complicated and less automated than ports. The AUR build system is what turned me away from Arch.
To be precise, I also like Arch and its philosophy, I am not against Arch. Currently I do not have time for that, but I will sure try Arch in some future (after I finish my master's thesis).

Quote:
However, you know what happens when a person crosses the line over to the BSD camp and becomes accustomed to the BSD camp. They become spoiled by the consistency, stability, security, and performance of their operating system.
Yeah, once I got used to BSD standards I feel very handicapped when I use Linux.

Quote:
Linux is still too stuck in the crusader-type philosophy for its own good. The idea that users should help in the debugging process is a noble one, but it's no excuse to release alpha code in a stable release, and I suspect the Linux kernel is beta code at best.
Tell that to Linux developers, and they will tell us that BSD is dying ...

... for Linux documentation check options.c

Quote:
Also, I'm with you on OpenSolaris. I look forward to OpenSolaris maturing because the prospect of Flash 9 and Java with OSS4 on a traditional Unix is just amazing. Right now, my combination of FreeBSD and Mac OS X lets me accomplish everything I want to.
I also tried Mac OS X (10.5.2) and I liked it, the only bad thing was that my Intel X3000 card is not supported but X3100 is :/ but all other things woked very well. I must also try Mac OS X with MacPorts.

Quote:
If OpenSolaris matures to my liking, then I might as well add an OpenSolaris box to the mix too and use that when I need Flash. Swfdec runs relatively well on FreeBSD, but it's no prize. I was testing out pkgsrc on OpenSolaris today. It bootstrapped, but libiconv was giving me grief. It was a dependency for musicpd. I just gave up. One thing I do like about OpenSolaris is IPS. It's possibly the best binary package manager I've seen.
Good package management always was a big disadvantage for (Open)Solaris. I recently tried 2008.05 with blastwave, generally worked well, but if I wanted to add tetex it failed, update / -f did not helped, si its still not mature/stable enought. I would like to use pkgsrc.org on Solaris also, I have read some howtos how to add it to OpenSolaris, but liek with Arch did not have time to play with it.

The IPS currently dissapoints me, they say that they have 10435 packages, that seem to be a lot, but they have 5-10 versions of each package (for every Solais version) so its count is limited to about 1200 as I last checked, that is almost none, there is only x11 + gnome + openoffice + some small addons.

There are no window managers, file managers, small utilities, ides, editors, its just so limited.

Maybe as time passes by developers will add more pachages to IPS, then it will be ok, but as of current state, package management on OpenSolaris still exists, unfortunelly.

The IPS itself is ok, generally very simillar to apt-get from Debian (also created by Ian Murdock) or pkg_add in BSD but if they will not add new packages there, then IPS will be (and currently is ) useless for anthing more then base system + gnome.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd