View Single Post
Old 13th June 2008
Spam Deminer

You misunderstood what I said. Slackware doesn't have to change it's development ideology or anything. On the SlackBuilds and Slackware websites, it's noted that the developers use SlackBuilds to build packages and test them before inclusion in a stable release. With that in mind, I think there are two things that could be done.

1. A Ports-style directory containing all the Slackbuilds for a stable release and the patches and whatnot. You install the base system and use SlackBuilds to generate packages and install them. It works better for those of us who don't want to download six CDs or an entire DVD.

2. Have the standard installation available, but include the SlackBuilds directory as an optional item during installaion for those who want to use it.

Note, I'm not asking for automatic dependency resolution. SlackBuilds come with dependency information, and the way Slackware and SlackBuilds are developed, you generally don't encounter problems with dependencies. I only need the dependency information so I know what packages to install. I can do everything else manually.

Also, if you have a SlackBuilds directory, then everytime a new release is made available, I guess you'd be able to sync your SlackBuilds directory and upgrade all your packages that way.