View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th June 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashrules View Post
When you install a package all of its dependencies are also installed.

If you uninstall that package, you have then all these useless dependencies on the disk.

On debian, you can de-install such "stale" dependencies with one command. You can't do that with pkgsrc or ports, can you?

On OpenBSD (I am OpenBSD user) default package system is pkg_add (ports are only used to create packages by developers or advanced users) so it is for practical purpose binary distribution (just like Debian). pkg_add does automatically resolve dependences (much like ports not only on OpenBSD but also on FreeBSD and pkgsrc and even binary pkgin (tool for binary packages built by pkgsrc)). It is very easy to recursively deinstall packages or to list packages which you can prune. pkg_add, ports, pkgsrc have all their week and strong points (irrelevant for most but very special power users) but a feel comfortable stating that they are superior to apt-get.

I use Linux when I have to. My Linux of choice is RedHat (Scientific) but I had to use Debian quite a bit. There are definitely many instances in which Linux is more suitable or sometimes the only system that can do the job but apt-get argument is definitely not one of them.

Last edited by Oko; 10th June 2011 at 06:06 PM.