View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th November 2017
Port Guard

Default NetBSD like Qubes? ('appVMs')

Is it possible to use Xen from pkgsrc to set up NetBSD like QubesOS? I'd like to be able to install other operating systems (OS) then run programs from them without even logging into those OS' GUIs. So, the reason isn't paranoia (Qubes is suggested for high security,) just wanting to run more programs from other OS distributions (distros) in the same X session rather than inset virtual machine window. In QubesOS, you can just set X programs to start from the same window manager or desktop environment menu (maybe also command-line programs somehow.) I know you can already login to an entire distro's X desktop with Xen, but it'd be too inconvenient to have to, or to have to set up dozens of menu entries manually. The point is doing that to run them in the same X session, so you even can save to the same home folder, have the same window style, same cursor, copy & paste with same clipboard, etc.

Update: I'd be more likely to use it on FreeBSD now (and interested in hearing possible developments on OpenBSD) unless on an obscure architecture only NetBSD runs...

Last edited by dchmelik; 10th May 2020 at 03:00 PM.