View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsner
I use pkg_add with url mirrors as :

ftp://iso.netbsd/pub/NetBSD/packages...ll/packagename
I immediately see two problems with this URL: (1) the .org is missing from iso.netbsd.org, and (2) the "all" should be capitalized, All.

Quote:
I've run :
PKG_path=ftp://iso.netbsd/pub/NetBSD/packages/4.0/i386/
export
Again, the .org is missing, as is All, and PKG_PATH should be all-capitalized.

Now, these may just be careless errors in your post, but if you're making the same kind of errors on your system it is no surprize that things are not working. You can't expect it to guess what you mean, it will just not work. So, if you recognize that maybe you're a sloppy typist, then you must double-, triple-check, etc., and make sure you've used all the right syntax, especially when things don't seem to work. I expect there won't be too many people eager to help fix mistakes caused by sloppy typing and not checking.

Quote:
... and paste this line in rc.conf.
That's the wrong place for it. rc.conf is only used at boot-time to enable and configure various features and daemons. To make the PKG_PATH permanent, put the above in /root/.profile, because it's root that must install packages. You can check your work with

# echo $PKG_PATH

after logging in as root again.
Quote:
I don't now the exacts names of packages.
One thing you can do is use the command-line ftp(1) client, or even a web-browser, to go to the URL above and then look at what files are there. For example,

$ ftp ftp.netbsd.org

then log in with anonymous ftp. In the interactive ftp, change directory

ftp> cd pub/.../All

Then if, say, you're interested in lynx, get a directory like

ftp> dir lynx*

to see the exact name of the currently available packages.

Quote:
I've looked some network configuration file and I've printed some docs
for this subject.
Good stuff, it sounds like you need to do much reading in many areas, including also basic Unix shell usage.

Best of luck with it. BTW I don't mean to discourage you, it's well worth the effort.

Last edited by IdOp; 17th August 2009 at 03:29 AM.