View Single Post
Old 5th November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
The results of this poll bring tears to my eyes.
I am sorry, I could not cast my vote on time and elevate little bit your mood. I am using nvi for absolutely everything. I caught myself recently even using ex. I could easily imagine myself just using ed if necessary.

I have not noticed the thread until now. I am rather surprised by the results of the voting. I am not surprised how many people like VIM. Lots of people need to work with Linux (occasionally even me). VIM also supports syntax highlighting which I guess could be useful if you can see the colours (I am
having hard time to see what other features of vim are useful and could not be reproduced in pure nvi with key strokes).

What is surprising to me is how many people claim to use original vi. First of all there are 3 different versions of original vi. One of them is certainly Solaris version which I used from 1996-2002. Does it mean that we have so many Solaris users around here? One of other two is a private copy if I recall correctly. I think that the third one is the copy shipped with V5.

I do have to admit though that Caldera have released now original version of vi that was shipped with V5 and I would guess that can be easily ported to any posix compliant system. (It is not ported to OpenBSD though).

Cheers,
OKO

Last edited by Oko; 6th November 2008 at 05:50 PM.