View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Arp Constable

The hardware you need is all dependent upon what you need it for. If you had to live through Firefoxes download day, a blazing fast daemon might be good -- for the rest of us almost anything that runs works.

P3 500Mhz, 384MB RAM included 8MB shared with gfx, and an 8GB disk served me as a desktop running PC-BSD (FreeBSD 6, KDE 3.4) running such monsters as OpenOffice, MPlayer, and Mozilla.

The more you have the better, especially if you don't like to wait on application start time!

For most people anything comparable to a P4 2.2-2.4Ghz, 1024MB RAM, and enough graphics memory/disk space for your needs will serve anyone until half way through the next decade as a 'comfortable' desktop machine, unless you live with Redmonds pacman development pattern.

the mental checklist I have is some thing like:

GNU/Linux -- A CPU compatible with your kernel build, enough RAM to boot the kernel, run init, and bash, a display, couple hundred megs of HDD. (various between kernel builds and distro bloat)

MS-DOS (later releases) -> Intel X86 CPU, 0.5-1MB of RAM, 4MB of HDD.

Windows XP -- 2000Mhz i686 CPU, 768MB Memory, 1.8GB+Personal space for HDD, any VESA capable graphics card (8MB is enough video memory)

Windows Vista (a real version) -- 2000Mhz i686 CPU, 2048MB Memory, GeForce 4400 or better graphics card, and since I've never used it 15~40GB + Personal space for HDD judging by their system requirements

FreeBSD 33Mhz Intel 80486DX, 128MB of RAM (less with older kernels), serial port or suitable display device, 1GB disk+Personal space, ports, src on HDD.

NetBSD a functioning power supply, serial port, and bootale media ;-)

OpenBSD (i386) Intel 80486DX, 32-64MB of RAM, 900MB of disk space, serial port or suitable display medium.

and you more or less have a functioning system, pardoning hardware support issues.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.