View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2009
Tcpdump Spy

A very generic scheme is something along the lines of:

Code:
/       1GB
swap    2GB (2GB is almost always more than enough).
/var    8GB
/usr    4-16GB
/home   Whatever is left ...
For the second disk I would just create one big partition and mount that as /data or something ...

It really depends on what you do. 8GB for /var/ may be serious overkill, but I like to keep logfiles for some time and I also use it for other stuff like ccache.
But do remember you cannot change the sizes once you're done, so it's better to oversize your partitions then to undersize.

As for /usr, for a normal (server) install 4GB should be more than enough, for a desktop up to 16GB ... This partition will contain all installed packages, so this really depends on how many and which apps you install...

You may also want to create separate partitions for email, /usr/src, and the likes, in part it's a matter of personal preference and taste, although multiple partitions (Or rather, filesystems) the two main advantages are:
o Contain fragmentation -- / will almost never get written to, /var will get written to a lot. Having both on a separate partition decreases overall fragmentation
o May be easier for backups if you use a partition for mail, mysql.

The obvious downside of more partitions is that your system will be less flexible ...

Oh, and for the sake of example, here's my fileserver at home:
Code:
[~]% df -h
Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad1s1a          1.9G    221M    1.6G    12%    /
devfs                1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad1s1d           23G    721M     21G     3%    /var
/dev/ad1s1e           15G    1.6G     13G    11%    /usr
/dev/ad1s1f           28G    212M     25G     1%    /home
/dev/mirror/datad    451G    318G     97G    77%    /data
/dev/ad0s1d          361G    189G    143G    57%    /data2