View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Wireless Troubles

Go easy those of you that are more experienced that I.

I have been able to connect to almost every public network that I visit (i.e. Panera Bread, Starbuck, Burger King, etc, etc), but I am unable to connect to my local coffee shops network. I have asked the owner and he believes they use wpa but is unsure. Their nwid is Main Street Java and their passphrase is lemonade. Here is an example of my ifconfig wpi0 command ifconfig wpi0 nwid Main Street Java wpa wpapsk \
`wpa-psk Main Street Java lemonad`

I get an error that Street is not recognized or something to that effect. I have tried placing an underscore between each word (e.g. Main_Street_Java and have also tried surrounding the nwid with quotes (e.g. “Main Street Java”) but have been unsuccessful. I have also tried many other variations.

I reset the wpi0 to its default setting between each attempt hoping that something works. I realize this is a very simple problem but have yet to figure it out. I also realize that it will ultimately come to me if I keep experimenting. So, if know one wants to give me the answer I would appreciate some advice as to where to look. I have read and reread man ifconfig and man wpi numerous times.

Thanks guys/gals

divadgnol