View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
am fully aware that prebuild packages are safer
I think perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote in http://www.daemonforums.org/showpost...29&postcount=2 so I will elaborate:

There is no difference between a package you build from the ports tree and a pre-built package you obtain from your nearby mirror. They will have been built with the same toolchain on the same architecture.

Snapshot packages are built from time to time for the convenience of -current users. Because these will not always be in sync, -current users are expected to be able to resolve sync issues themselves.

------

We don't know enough about your problem to give you any specific "how to" help. You should realize, through careful reading of FAQ 15 (and especially FAQ 15.4.1) that dependent libraries must be kept in sync. Changes in /usr/lib and changes in /usr/local/lib for dependent ports WILL require rebuilding of the port of interest or ports from its dependency chain, from time to time.

It is your responsibility, if you wish to be a -current user to learn how to properly build ports. Along with careful reading of FAQ 15, ports(7), and bsd.port.mk(5), you will find the logging of console output very helpful to determine the root cause of any build failure. You will find the script(1) command helpful, along with the col(1) command's -b option.