View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
It does seem that NetBSD is seriously contemplating moving to X.org in an upcoming release.
I would be surprised if changing over to X.org as the default version of X happens this quickly, but the following information is now a year old.

XFree86 has continued to be used as the default installation because it is well known, well used, & it has been well vetted for all platforms. X.org has not. & as of a year ago, there were significant problems with using it on all platforms -- problems to the extent that the package maintainers were speculating that it could possibly be years before it would become the default version of X. This isn't to say that modular X.org isn't stable on some platforms, but the NetBSD elite have to take into account what happens on all supported platforms.

Personally, I never had problems with modular X.org on i386, but being the dominant port has its advantages & privileges.

Finally, I'm not sure what the current talk is on when the next version will occur, so modular X.org could still beat it.