View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Why does BSD loads web pages slow?

Hi guys,

I have and older computer that had windows XP installed on it. I have DSL and my ISP is AT&T. Now here's the problem:

When this computer was running Windows XP, I could connect to the iternet and browse web pages really quick. So I decided to wipe XP out of the drive and load FreeBSD to use this computer as a desktop station. But for some reason, it takes so long for web pages to load (about 7-8 times more slow than when the machine was running XP) when I'm using freeBSD. Now here's what I find weird:

Before I had installed FreeBSD on this machine, I installed linux (fedora 6). And the web pages take even longer than FreeBSD for them to load.

I have also installed freeBSD on vmware on a Windows Vista host, but internet was still slow.

So why is it that FreeBSD (also linux) takes way longer to load web pages while Windows XP AND Vista load web pages really fast?

Is there anyway that I can fix this issue? (this is one of the major reason that prevents me from wanting to useBSD as a workstation).