View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th March 2014
Administrator

The excellent OpenBSD FAQ is a very good and complete guide. In the beginning of this century, when I started with OpenBSD, and my internet access was with a 64K ISDN modem, I downloaded that FAQ and printed most sections on our HP laserjet printer. That was cheaper and faster than reading and studying from the monitor screen.

With the experience you already have with Linux, I don't see many problems ahead in getting OpenBSD up and running There could be a few minor issues, because sometimes OpenBSD does things different than Linux.

RE: laptop

Laptops are not always the easiest pieces of equipment to configure OpenBSD on. Especially when you need to configure X Window, or a wireless connection. If you are a student and rely on your laptop for your study, it could be easier to somehow get hold of a desktop system.

RE: DHCP link

First read http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html and you will encounter the DHCP client paragraph. For wired connectivity, that should do the job.

For wireless see 6.13 - What are my wireless networking options?