View Single Post
Old 17th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silex View Post
hi vermaden, what prompted me to share this is not beadm but the fact that your howto for zfs is the best around the interwebs and believe me i looked at so many.
It does not cover 4k drives (gnop devices), so its not the best, but thanks

Quote:
so all in all my addition was about encrypting the whole system and using a usb bootkey. on a side note i'm using the config above for a nas, didn't check beadm as of yet, so do you imply that it won't work with the system pool encrypted?
Encryption is not the problem.

The MAIN problem, is that FreeBSD Bootloader is not able to boot FreeBSD from ZFS which is on encrypted GELI drive, so we have to do it other way.

One of the things that beadm does is it changes bootfs property of ZFS pool and vfs.root.mountfrom line in the /boot/loader.conf, so beadm will have to be modified to do that on the separate / or /boot or separate pool.

Its not impossible, its just pain in the ass

Quote:
now back to your question i'm having 2 pools on the os disk because i feel it's easier to backup, recover the system should any upgrade go bad. the local part has an important essential subset backup from the raidz, in other words i'm just using the free space left on the OS disk for extra backups.
In some advanced configuration, sure, 2 drives in ZFS mirror for sys and other drives in some fancy stripes and mirrors, or raidz configurations for local pool.

Quote:
I was hesitant to use a USB disk OS and maybe i'm wrong.
IMHO nothing wrong with that.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd