Thread: clang/llvm
View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th February 2013
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdnotbdsm View Post
Hello,
To quickly answer your question: I think it is desirable to keep the clang and llvm at identical versions.

But, more elaborate answer for your specific situation: you're not in the position to split clang and llvm versions.
I'm looking at my ports tree (FreeBSD 8.2 amd64, official ports collection, upgraded on Feb 20th 2013):

Therefore, there are two versions of clang/llvm in the ports tree.
Now, if I look at the versioning:

...it looks like there are clang/llvm version 3.2 in the "main" port, and for some reason, version 3.1 is still kept in a port that has "31" termination in its name.

So the solution would be to replace your currently installed ports lang/clang31 and devel/llvm31 with the newer versions lang/clang and devel/llvm.

However a NOTE: clang/llvm being a set of tools used for compiling, I think the upgrade procedure should NOT involve deleting the currently installed version first. You could end up in imposibility to compile any software. Maybe an approach would be installing packages first and then recompile from ports...

Back to the main topic: you can keep your clang/llvm at the same version, be it 3.1 or 3.2
Thank you very much for the answer.

As I know FreeBSD 9.1 has clang/llvm 3.1 as default (base). And I know that I can install whatever version of clang which will be in /usr/local/bin but default version is in usr/bin
IMO should be good that clang/llvm will be update to 3.2 for default.