View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
The time seems accurate on this box. (BSD1)
Assuming you have daemonized ntpd by not specifying the -d switch in /etc/rc.conf.local, the daemon will log to /var/log/daemon. Depending upon the accuracy of the system's crystal:
  • you should find a running commentary of what adjustments are being made to keep the system in sync in the log file. If you are using the -d switch, all logging should be seen on the console.
  • Until the system is in sync (only adjustments of the order of hundredths of a second are being made...), your local time server will not serve time out to clients.

Some motherboards have horrible crystals or cannot hold an accurate time once powered off. This is why there is the -s switch which simply sets the time at boot-time. If you elect to use this switch, recognize that the system clock may dramatically jump which may have negative effects on any scheduled cron jobs.

I have an old sparc64 system that I use as a time server. The first time I configured it, it took over a day for it to proclaim itself synchronized such that it would serve out time updates to clients.
Specifying the -v switch may provide more salient information.
Quote:
Internet <-> BSD1 <-> Switch <-> BSD2

BSD1 would also be the Gateway.

ntpd.conf on BSD1 is:
Code:
listen on 192.168.244.1

server 0.ca.pool.ntp.org
server 1.ca.pool.ntp.org
server 2.ca.pool.ntp.org
This doesn't look right. If BSD1 is getting NTP updates from the Internet, why are you specifying a private RFC1918 address?
Quote:
Am I missing something which will allow other hosts to connect to it?
You haven't provided any information about the clients' configuration.
Quote:
Is there authentication?
No.

You should become familiar with the ntpd(8) & ntpd.conf(5) manpages. Likewise, there has been a number of discussions on misc@ about "bad peer" proclamations:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2...d+bad+peer&q=b

Be forewarned that the syntax of ntpd.conf has changed over the last several releases, so read the oldest threads with caution.