View Single Post
Old 4th June 2013
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk0x29a View Post
I wonder...
And now, for sumtin' serious... I've read that Plan9 wasn't deployed world-wide, because it was ahead of it's times for like 30-40 years or so... What do You think about it?
I'd try switching to it if...
1. I was reasonably sure how to install it and that it would support my hardware.
2. I had a mouse that makes acme's chording comfortable
3. I knew for sure it ran firefox (or a suitable replacement), emacs (I'd need time to ween myself off emacs and onto acme), an X server (can it?), an RDP client, and various other software (it was also unclear to me whether it had any kind of C++ compiler beyond cfront, whether it ran any kind of Scheme compiler supporting more than R4RS or even scsh, whether it had sbcl or any other implementation of CL).

My impression was that the problem with plan 9 was that it needs a group of middling hackers outside the core group to do all the porting or new creation of programs that its creators turn their nose at (web browsing is the worst for keeping out new clean OS designs with all the crap we've come to need to use common sites and how much work that takes to support). Unless that happens it's like Oberon -- a prototype showing the way things maybe ought to be but lacking lots of stuff many of us are used to having. You can tell me all this other stuff is just sugar, fat, and salt, but probably that won't be enough to motivate me to do all my computing plan 9's way. If using OpenBSD meant I couldn't run anything beyond their base, I wouldn't use it either, as much as I like what they're doing.

Acme's pretty cool, though. Just need a better mouse.

Damn it, you're going to make me go on another plan9port or kick soon.