View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st January 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
My sense is that in the States, all energy is subsidized.
It depends on each state. As a PA resident, I've noticed our electricity bills went up after the final electric deregulations went into place. This appears to be the same thing that happened in Alberta and across Canada.
Quote:
I wonder how some of the larger, non-profit LInux distros, Debian in particular, fund their build servers? Is there an option to distribute builds, say to academic centers? I know that the ftp3.usa.openbsd.org site is under the wing of NCAR at the Univ of Colorado.
There's no official document, but it seems Debian's build servers are more distributed among developers with everything tying into the master Debian server. I think one problem at the moment is that with OpenBSD, everything is still essentially built at Theo's "house" which is then mirrored to everything else. Some of the older architectures aren't exactly power efficient either (like the VAX boxes). So, I don't think Theo is going to get an answer by trying to offload the expense onto someone else's books.

The Gentoo wiki details how their server infrastructure is broken down: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure